How to Control Wastage in Restaurant Cooking
Controlling food wastage is important in the restaurant industry as it can have a significant impact on the profitability of the business. Here are some tips on how to control wastage in restaurant cooking:
- Proper inventory management: Keep track of inventory levels and order only what is necessary to avoid over-ordering and spoilage.
- Portion control: Train kitchen staff to properly portion ingredients to avoid over-preparing or over-serving.
- Menu planning: Plan menus based on the seasonality of ingredients and the expected demand to reduce wastage.
- Utilise ingredients fully: Use all parts of the ingredients, such as using vegetable scraps to make stocks or using leftover meats in soups or stews.
- Proper storage: Ensure that ingredients are stored properly to maintain their freshness and quality.
- First in, first out (FIFO): Use the FIFO method when preparing ingredients and storing them to ensure that older ingredients are used first.
- Monitor waste: Keep track of food waste on a daily basis to identify patterns and areas for improvement.
- Staff training: Train staff on the importance of reducing food waste and provide them with the tools and knowledge to implement waste reduction strategies.
EZTrolley brings its highly efficient POS system to help you implement these strategies, and effectively control food waste, reduce costs, and improve the overall sustainability.